How many people lie about their age on dating profiles and dating sites?
The answer, sadly, is a LOT – especially for over 50s, over 60s and beyond.
We believe lying about your age is one of the BIGGEST NO NOs of Online Dating Success.
Why do people lie about their age online?
Here are the excuses we’ve heard for why people lie about their age online – and why we’re not buying them – and we’re not alone.
- 80% to 90% of online daters we interviewed said they would never trust a potential partner that lied about their age on an online dating profile, even if they fessed up early.
- Most people who are dating online round up in increments of 5 to 10 years – it’s easy to guess a lie when the person discusses when they were in school, favourite television shows when they were children, and the ages of their children or grand children.
Common Excuses for Lying about Age on a Dating Profile –
The first excuse is, “well – I’m very young for my age.”
- The truth: everyone thinks this, but even if you are young for your age, you’re still your age – and believe me, age matters to a lot of people.
- But honesty matters more than age.
Think that “age is just a number?:” Think again!
- Age IS actually more than a number – it’s a lifelong point of reference that has a huge impact on your influences and your upbringing, from how genders are seen and treated to your politics to your eating, drinking and sexual habits..
- If you feel everyone your age is “too old for you” – imagine what a much YOUNGER person you’re trying to attract, feels about YOUR AGE.
- Face the truth and stick as close to your age group as possible but whatever you do, don’t lie.
The second excuse is, “well – everybody does it so I’d be at a disadvantage if I didn’t lie about my age.”
The truth is that NOT EVERYONE does it, and you’ll be at a huge disadvantage if your prospective partner – someone you really like – finds out you’ve been dishonest in your profile or ever for several weeks or years.
You’ll have an advantage if you tell the truth, and make contact with a killer profile that resonates with the person you want to be with, than by pretending to be what you’re not.
The third excuse is, “I need to date younger, I’m just not attracted to anyone my own age. They all look OLD!”
The truth is, that YOU look about the same age as your peers. You may not want to admit it, but you do – maybe a bit better, maybe a bit younger or fitter – but it’s highly unlikely you’d be mistaken for a man or woman 10 years younger, even if your friends all tell you that. And even if you could be, it’s a greater advantage to be honest about age – and know that the compliments about looking younger are real from people you meet – than to be dishonest and risk a budding relationship founded on a lie.
Relationships founded on a lie are unsustainable.
So be truthful about your age on your profile.
Honesty on dating profiles is the #3 Rule of Being Successful. No lies, no excuses.
Recommended reading for new users of online dating services::
contact us for SOUND advice about how to make a profile that attracts.
Recommended reading on age deception (age fabrication).
Sorry, you have emailed us 3 separate times using this enquiry form and to protect the inbox from potential spam-mers, we have set the limit to 3 enquiries using this form. Please contact us by phone if you have additional questions. +61 491 105 123.