How many single people are using online dating? Or more specifically, how many single people over 50 are using the top 10 online dating sites?
The answer to how many people use online dating sites to connect with others – either for a quick hook up, dating, friendship or a serious relationship like marriage – is – a LOT! We’re talking MILLIONS of people, with online dating now the GO TO method for meeting potential partners, nearby friends and temporary flings.
How much time and money do people spend on online dating sites?
- We’re talking HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of users
- We’re talking about these users spending up to $2 billion a year and increasing annually
Scroll down for Tinder statistics or online dating statistics but if you’re serious about wanting a partner, read this blog in detail.
Online Dating Statistics: Hundreds of millions of dating app or online dating site users spend over $2 billion a year.
First, that’s a lot of money, and secondly, that’s a lot of users.
How many people are successful with online dating (marriage, relationships and hook-ups)?
There’s a bit of debate on how many people have success with online dating vs meeting organically. Either way, it’s a great tool for finding someone seemingly compatible (remember, no one is likely to be perfectly compatible, but don’t rush to settle for someone who’s incredibly far off from who you’d like to meet – unless, of course, you’re deluding yourself about what you can attract.
Getting online dating RIGHT and finding a good match
- And how many of these dating app or online dating site users are getting it right?
- Probably not as many as COULD be getting it right and finding what they’re looking for (or a suitable version thereof).
- Because so many people are getting their online dating profiles and online search strategies WRONG.
But what this tells you is GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS.
First, the bad news. It tells you that it IS a numbers game in the sense it will take you awhile to weed through people in your age range (but as you get older, the weeding becomes less -there is usually less to choose from, while we’re all a lot fussier as we age – and often, there’s more women to men in terms of male-to-female ratios of online dating – and a growing online population of same-sex dating site users because people now recognise ALL people love who they love, and no one should control that (certainly no government should ever be allowed to dictate who you can sleep with or love),
But I divert. .
Next, the GOOD news. There’s a lot of choice out there.
Which brings me to the GOOD/BAD news – because there is a LOT of choice, it’s easy to get on the ‘next, next, next’ yo yo of serial monogamy or endless dating – without commitment or longevity.
And if that’s what you’re looking for, great – just be clear to yourself and others you meet that you’re not actually in the market for a full-time or rest-of-life long relationship.
Again, honesty in your profile – starting with honesty with yourself – is the CRUX and #1 rule of online dating.
But if you’re a TOGETHER person with limited baggage, you’ll have a lot of choices and it can readily turn into an endless line of dates and no relationships. So you DO need to know what you’re looking for, and how to search for it, which is in the book THE LOVE HUNTERS GUIDE to online dating and mid-life love.
Read the blog about why age honesty is so important – and why lying about age on dating profiles and age fabrication is a major NO-NO for successful online dating, no matter what your excuse.
But in terms of numbers of users on dating sites and dating apps – Let’s talk Tinder first vs Match or Tinder vs Bumble vs Elite Singles –
- Tinder is used around the world in over 40 languages (no small feat for a dating app or an app of any kind)
- Has a teen function limited to teens
- Monthly number of TINDER users are estimated to be 50 million people.
- Of the 50 million, there are 12 million matches per day
- Swipe right means interested, swipe left means not interested
Biggest question on Tinder Apps: How many swipes before a match?
How many profiles must a person wade through, on average, to find a good dating prospect or mutual match?
This is what most people fail to understand and why KEY problems with online dating apps or dating sites are rejection, frustration and lack of patience.
Let’s use Tinder dating as an example.
- Tinder – Swipes per day to get 12 million matches = 1 billion.
- That’s a LOT of “I like him or her but they don’t like me, or they like me but I don’t like them” SWIPE LEFT(S).
Tinder Wrist Action: Swipe Left or Right?
Mutual Matches on Tinder (Swipe Right) before a meeting occurs (online match only, no guarantee) – 12 million of 50 million actions. That’s a LOT of wrist action!
So what does that tell you as a midlife online dating site user?
- It tells you there’s a lot of profile weeding going on.
- There’s probably also a lot of laziness, potentially mismatched expectations and badly written profiles or horrendous online dating profile photos.
But the main thing it reminds you of IS two key things – good and bad:
- There’s a lot of people you might match with in a large city (this greatly depends on your location and other social-demographics.
- If you live in a very small town or very far from a major city, your prospects will be minimal to none.
- If you’re serious about dating, then you’ll typically either need to relocate a loved one to where you live (tricky at the best of times) OR lower your dating criteria to what’s actually around.
- Both are not ideal scenarios, but you can learn more in my book, The Love Hunters Guide to Midlife Dating, about how to overcome tricky demographics such as geographical quasi-isolation.
- You’ve got to be prepared for playing a numbers game – and that means surviving a lot of rejection, but being savvy enough to not waste so much time on the wrong profiles – especially YOURS.
- If you get your profile wrong – especially your photos or lying about your age – you’re not doing yourself or your prospective partners any favours.
- Even free sites are very costly in terms of TIME – and we all know online dating is very time consuming.
Online Dating Drawbacks
Here at DATING PROFILE TIPS, from the author of the Love Seekers Guide, we believe these numbers and online dating facts/statistics CLEARLY reveal some of Tinder’s drawbacks – which happen to be similar across MOST online dating sites.:
The DRAWBACKS of online dating sites such as Tinder include:
- people swiping on people they’d have NO hope off attracting
- people swiping without delving deeper into other photos or profiles (something Bumble appears to have handled better)
- finger trouble – people accidentally swiping left vs right when they meant to do the reverse (fortunately there’s an UNDO feature now)
- limited use unless you purchase the premium functionality
Indeed, one of the biggest time wasters on online dating sites and dating apps is that some people are swiping quickly – or send a kiss, stamp, message or flirty wink – without really looking deeper/reading the person’s bio.
And YES, I’m all for recognising that physical attraction is a huge component of finding a suitable match, but it’s not the be all/end all once you’re over 50 or over 60, 70 and beyond. Why is that?
Because we often get PICKIER or FUSSIER as we age, not less so. We tolerate less and we want more. The trouble is, there are also often fewer matches that really suit us BECAUSE
But the upside is, there are a LOT of people to choose from, and if you’re patient, search-savvy and realistic in your expectations, you might just find a Gem. Many people do. So read the rest of my most popular online dating forums and blogs for people over 50 and get in touch if I can help you with a template re-write or online dating coaching.
Suitable matches and unlimited choices on Online Dating Sites and Dating Apps
Tinder, RSVP, Match and Elite Singles or Silver Singles have millions of users. How do you wade through the crap?
Of 12 million matches per day on Tinder, the number of Tinder users collectively made around 1 billion swipes per day. Let’s do the maths.
The “hit” or match rate on Tinder is 12 million/1 billion swipes. 12,000,000/1,000,000,000.
Maths were never my strong suite, but that’s 12 in 1000.
So you’ll need to be patient, savvy and stay calm, focused and non-rushed.
You’ll need to pre-determine WHAT you’re really wanting in terms of a relationship at this stage of life – and WHO or WHAT TYPE of person you’re wanting it with. Before all that, you’ll have to think of WHERE – and how FAR you’ll travel to or move – for the right person.
Send an enquiry to get the MJST HAVE/MUST NOT HAVE check list for contemplation.
Next blog: the WHO, WHAT and WHERE.
Sorry, you have emailed us 3 separate times using this enquiry form and to protect the inbox from potential spam-mers, we have set the limit to 3 enquiries using this form. Please contact us by phone if you have additional questions. +61 491 105 123.